Wednesday, June 14, 2006

a visit back to thies

I have to take a moment to talk about how impressed I am with my first host family here in senegal. Last night i visited them in their home in Thies and I was so happy and comfortable with the visit. It is hard to express why things went so well, but there was not a single problem-- they didn't treat me like some strange ghost coming to visit. We immediately settled in and started talking. They honestly care about me, my adjustment to Louga, my family at home, and likewise I really care about them. Little Fallou is in a session of serious exams so that he can continue school, Dior my sister just started a new job, Seynabou is finishing her first year of teaching in a school-- I am just so impressed with all of them. They are really model people as well, the mother divorced several years ago and now supports their entire family which is actually more than 8 people. SHe has instilled in all of the kids the importance of studying, of marrying the person of your choice, to keep in mind your financial status when planning a family, and most importantly to work hard. Being with them was so refreshing and inspiring, I can only hope that someday my family in Louga will all have such lofty goals and accomplished students.

So then I learned that Dior is about to get married! This is going to be a big day. I wish I could tell the whole story here but it just won't fit-- the basics are that I got introduced to the fiance before I knew what was going on. Then my mom, Nogaye, started to tease mesaying he's ugly, Dior made a bad choice, she couldn't get anyone better-- this naturally made me so uncomfortable, I didn't know what to say, but it is a typical Wolof joke-- Seynabou finally saved me saying a Wolof proverb "a man cannot be ugly if his pockets are deep" Perfect.

The story ends that the girls asked me to be in the ceremony as a "bridesmaid" an honor reserved for sisters and close friends. This will be quite an experience-- Wolof parties are crazy enough without a random toubab crashing it. and it means that I get a new dress to match all the other girls and we'll have to dance in front of everyone to really loud music. kind of like in the states but much more embarrassing when you are all white and awkward. There is something about Wolofs that makes them naturally very cool and sexy that just leaves us tubabs looking weird.

probably good to end with that philosophical statement :)

No comments: