Thursday, August 10, 2006

a medical question

Kari and Ted (volunteers from Linguere area, about 2.5 hours away) came through the other day and I thought I should share with you some of our musings

Kari: I wonder how much permament damage is being done to my gastro-intestinal tract while serving as a PC volunteer? Constant exposure to amoebas, cysts, giardia, and a daily medication regimen that would rival the average hospitalization.

Ted: I once sent a letter to a high school PE teacher telling him that his students should do a class project on my health. Exercise, diet, heat exposure, medications, etc.

Kari: Do twelve servings of white rice and six of cooking oil increase or decrease your chances of a long and healthy life?

So here is the question-- what will we be like 10, 20, 50 years from now? Do simple carbohydrates, a contaminated water supply and long hours of heat exposure and physical labor strengthen or weaken the human condition? Will we leave here looking (and feeling) like the shriveled lung you looked at in the smoking section of the health book?

I'm hoping that the lifestyle is coupled with an unstoppable ability to shake one's butt and shout louder than anyone in a tri-state area.

It can't be any less healthy than how I lived in college right? Only now beer is replaced with rice

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was a PCV in the Diourbel Region, Dept de Bambey, from 1989-91 and, for the record, you never really forget about the gastro=happenings while in Senegal. The awesome thing is, when you're back here, have a regular job, live in a house with air conditioning and TiVo, and you have the flu, you'll remember Senegal and suddenly things start looking up.

Enjoy your service...it'll be over before you know it.

Jamm ak jamm,

Lisa Maggiore (aka Ami N'dir)

Meryl said...

wow, Lisa, it is great to have your news! I will certainly tell our diourbel volunteer that I heard from you :) And I am happy to hear that the future might hold TiVo in store for me....