Thursday, October 12, 2006

Ode to Underwear

We are roughly 20 days into Ramadan right now which means its pretty slow around here. You've probably noticed that I haven't written since then. I've actually been more busy with work recently since everything comes down during Ramadan and we can get more real work done.

I just got out of the shower and consequently, done washing my underwear by hand. I have to comment on the monotony and ridiculousness of this task. I can't set out underwear with the rest of my clothes to be washed-- we were told it was culturally insensitive. I never got the whole gist of it, but I'd hate to be stepping on toes. So every day I wash my underwear. I don't think I would want to set it out anyway seeing as how my clothes always come back as though they've seen the third world war. Bleach and mysterious hole-creating forces permeate my clothes, despite the hardest work of the girl who regularly does my laundry. So everything is literallly torn apart and even though I wash my own underwear I am starting to see holes take over. The laundry soap here I am convinced smells worse that actual dirty clothes smell and doesn't succeed in actually removing much dirt. Maybe it is my half-hearted sloshing around of soap and underwear in the water bucket, but every time I take my sun-stiffened underwear off the line I find myself cringing at the thought of having to put these on again in a few days. The real test comes when you have been a volunteer long enough to be willing to buy your underwear from the local goodwill-style clothes seller. I've wandered into that part of the market, been drawn to it (such is the allure of non-sun-stiffened undergarments) but I still haven't made the jump. This is perhaps my ultimate weakness as a volunteer. Bring on the plague of crickets (I count 6 on my computer screen right now). Bring on dysentery and giardia. bring on sheep intestines and fish heads. But something restrains me from making that last break from Toubab-ness, buying underwear of unknown origins. So this leads me now to the Ode to Mom, who has agreed to mail me new, never before hand-washed underwear.

In other news, our bull broke out of his pen today and wreaked havoc in the house. ever heard of the bull in the China shop? This is what happens when you keep the cows in the house.

And, tomorrow I will attempt to fast with the Senegalese. Wish me luck!

Miss you all!

2 comments:

Meryl said...

you're so right Marc, that was a cliffhanger, I didn't realize it. The bull was eventually tamed by all the men in the neighborhood (and the kids really got into the game of running around and shrieking). i am thankful that in my compound grass huts have been traded in for cement rooms with heavy metal doors...

and Karen, you're amazing! I will post info on how to send packages in an upcoming message. I always love getting packages (it is a little taste of home) but please don't ever feel obligated.

All my best!
Meryl

Anonymous said...

Meryl,
I would love to send you packages, but the real question is whether they'll actually get you in a back of a 1972 rusted out g-wagon.

But I keep faith considering the package did finally arrive to you 5 months later :)

Love/Miss
Leah