Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Lions!

First of all, it is really unbelievably hot here-- so hot that after barely 1o days of working I am exhausted and so dehydrated from walking in the sun that my hands shake. But I'm not complaining :) It's time for a vacation!

Second, a funny story to share... just because I have no shame. I was supposed to meet a client yesterday at 3:30 to go visit a bank together before I started a training at 5 pm. He was early, so came by my room to see where I was. I told him I would be there in a minute and he went to sit with some family members. So I rushed to get dressed and started to gather my stuff for the training. I brought my bag and kit out and set them down next to my 20-year-old host brother, who is really shy and who I have just started to be close to. We were chatting a bit when I realized that I had forgotten something in my room. I turned to go back into the room, turning my back to him and at the same time reached back to check the zipper on my dress-- which I naturally had forgotten to zip. I very calmly zipped it and continued walking to my room.... but ever since then I have not seen my brother once! I am pretty sure he was mortified to see me so exposed in a country where I don't even show my knees!...

In other, more PC news... I visited a "simb" the other day, also known as "faux lions" or fake lions. It's a sort of a neighborhood fair/block party to raise money for the local community associations. Essentially big scary men dress up in costume and dance and act and also "trap" people from outside who do not pay tickets to come inside, then they bring these poor souls into the middle of the whole crowd and make them do silly tricks. Of course I got singled out 4 separate times since I was the only white person for miles around, but I had a great time with it, and my sisters really got a kick out of it too. Most impressive was the man with a body-builder physique dressed in drag and the man on stilts who did crazy Senegalese dance in the deep sand. Truly impressive. So I hope you enjoy the photos :)

No comments: